WHO ARE WE
The Royal League Health Foundation, convener of the project “Mental Health Status” is a full-fledged Non-Governmental Organization [NGO] in Consultative Status with some affiliate health organizations; and it reaches out to every Nigerian to educate and incite the mental health status responsibility through care, intervention and initiatives – promoting – “Good mental health for all”.
We are dedicated to breaking the Cycle of stigmatization by delivering a sustainable mental and psychosocial supports/solution to the problem of urban and rural human daily encounter that threatens the mental health of citizens. We work to create opportunities and give the life of every mentally ravaged citizen a meaning; we want them to come out of their mode, have a new mentality about themselves and live a renewed life forgetting that they were ever in a state of anarchy in their lives as we give them a hope and a future.
It was said three in every ten Nigerians suffer from one form of mental disorder or the other, this has added to our driving force to deliver ways of awareness, intervention and reformation. There are more than 200 classified forms of mental illnesses. Some of the more common disorders are depression, bipolar disorder, dementia, schizophrenia and anxiety disorders. Symptoms may include changes in mood, personality, personal habits and/or social withdrawal. Mental illnesses may be caused by a reaction to environmental stresses, genetic factors, biochemical imbalances, or a combination of these.
We envision a nation where a healthier mental status for all citizen is possible, children, teens, youths and adults’ alike coming into the status of “Good Mental Health” thus becoming responsible and self-reliant citizens, profitable to the society.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
“In Nigeria, an estimated 20–30 per cent of our population are believed to suffer from mental disorders. This is a very significant number, considering that Nigeria has an estimated population of 200 million. “By 2020, it is estimated also that common mental disorders such as depression, anxiety, and substance abuse-related disorders, will disable more people than complications arising from HIV/AIDS, heart disease, accidents, and wars combined.” We have a mission to the citizens of our nation Nigeria.
Our mission is to:
• Create programs and initiatives that instigate feasible and practical interventions, raise policies and health education programs that will improve mental health literacy among Nigerians
• Deliver sustainable and participatory campaigns to the citizens, the communities or households, schools, related institutions and parks.
• Mobilize for advocacy the people in the city, townships, community, schools and related institutions into a force for change.
• Promote awareness of the plight or situation of the mentally challenged and the mental illness and the dire social consequences of the society’s neglect in addressing the problems.
• Work with partner public and private organizations, stakeholders and Affiliates to avail treatment and rehabilitation
OUR CORE VALUES
• INTEGRITY. Know and do what is right.
• RESPECT. Treating others the way you want to be treated.
• RESPONSIBILITY. Embrace opportunities to contribute.
• WORKMANSHIP. Bring your best to all you are involved in.
• SERVANT LEADERSHIP. Serve the common good.
We understand and accept that:
• Change on the outside is preceded by change on the inside; therefore, a change of mental attitude leads to a change in physical circumstances.
• We must take Actions that bring the deprived, excluded and vulnerable citizens in the nation into a position that makes them drivers of their own change.
• The key to sustainable and lasting change to the issues that affect humans is wrapped up in the Word of God.
• The citizens must be active participants in their own change in order to achieve independence within a set time.